Monday, February 23, 2009

BDC Love!

No, I promise I do not have code names for every one of my friend groups.

That being said, this weekend Jim, Rowdy, and I headed to Boston for what we called the "BDC Reunion"...a night of good food and fun with my former roomates.

When I moved to Boston back in 2004, my high school friend Leah and I decided we wanted to live together. Leah's current roomate Kerry was also looking for a place, so we invited her to join. A few weeks later and after searching many apartments, we found the place that would soon be known as the BDC. You see, our house number was 13. Our street was Craigie. Our friend Eric is goofy, and deemed our new place the Bakers Dozen Craigie.

Life at the BDC was interesting. Looking back, it shouldn't surprise any of us that our very first weeks there would in a way foreshadow the year ahead of us. The day after we moved in ,our landlord Doug (a creepy man with obvious small man syndrome who was completely obsessed with roomie Kerry), asked us if we would like a brand new kitchen and bathroom. Of course, we said! Who wouldn't? Little did we know that would mean that for two straight weeks we would have to shower in the morning on the third floor of the building in another apartment whichwas also being renovated (READ: Shower by candlelight while making sure not to step on tetanus covered nails), not have a kitchen available for use AT ALL, keeping my poor three month old kitten locked in my bedroom so that she wouldn't die of asbestos, and literally being taped into our bedrooms on a Saturday morning while a group of uninvited, unexpected, illegal immigrants painted our hallway and we all had to sneak out of our bedroom windows in search for coffee. To say the least, it was both a disaster and utterly hilarious, the two words that best describe the next several months.

We laughed a lot at the BDC. We also cried, screamed, and dramatized. We fell in love, we fell out of love. I still can't believe everything that happened while we lived there happened in only a matter of 11 or so months. Through the months, we had some additions to our little group. Eric was friends with me and Leah in high school and got to know Kerry while Leah and Kerry lived together. He would come over to the apartment and stay for hours, even if nobody was home. Mike was friends with Eric in college, who then became friends with us. Mike and Leah started dating not long after we all moved in. Jim, well you all know Jim, arrived in my life in November. The girls were nice enough to let him move in with us for a few months when he moved to Boston.

I could talk about a hundred different things that we did while we lived at the BDC, but my favorite of them all were our dinners and breakfasts. At that time I was as far from being a cook as one could imagine. Kerry and Leah however, were pretty well versed in the kitchen and enjoyed spending time in there. Most of the time we prepared Sunday morning breakfast and ate as a "family"...Mike and Eric in their boxers unable to create a coherent sentence in their sleepy states, and Jim playing the guitar and singing Dave Matthews, and me, Kerry, and Leah whipping up waffles, pancakes, eggs, bacon, fruit, and juice for our traditional meal. Occasionally we'd do dinner as well. I moonlighted at a liquor store in Porter Square and one of the regulars would go on fishing trips and always bring me back salmon. While we were hesitant at first, we decided to whip it up and it made for awesome meals.

When we all parted ways the following summer, I hoped we would stay close. Leah and I struggled living together and we were a bit distant for a bit, but have definitely come back together since. We see each other at the holidays, as we both go home to see our families. Mike and Leah have since split up but stay close and we see him from time to time. Eric and Jim have become very good friends so we see him whenever we are home for the holidays or down in Boston. He comes to visit us quite a bit as well. Kerry and I have kept in touch mostly by email and the occasional visit when we are lucky enough to have our schedules connect.

So, onto the reunion. Kerry and I met up this past November while I was traveling for work and decided it was time for a BDC reunion. We needed to reconnect the "BDC Love" as we always called it. So this weekend we headed to Boston for a night of cooking and fun at Kerry's awesome apartment. We had so much food, I never thought I'd get out of bed the next day. Dips and salad, pasta dishes, baked zucchini, scallops and swordfish, wine, and bread. It was awesome. It was so fun to get together again and cook, drink wine, and laugh about the ridiculousness of our year at the BDC.

Here's a picture of our group, and the fun we had getting ready for the night!










Mike and Leah

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

The oh-so-exciting tales of Jim and Kristina :)