Monday, November 10, 2008

Dear Server,

Let me begin by saying that I understand the hardships of being a server. I was one for many years, and can appreciate the work that you do. It takes a lot for me to be upset by bad service, so this letter comes after much frustration.

I feel it is important for you to realize one basic fact: A "solo" diner is a human being.

A solo diner is not a nutcase.
A solo diner is not going to tip you poorly.
A solo diner is not some freak who has no friends to go to dinner with.
A solo diner is not an introvert who doesn't want to make eye contact or conversation.
A solo diner is not always in a rush.
A solo diner is not a waste of your time.

Just because you would never have the gall to sit at a restaurant by yourself does not give you the right to judge why I am there. Maybe I'm away on business, or maybe I just felt like getting away for a few hours. Maybe you should push aside your judgmental thoughts because believe me, they turn into quite judgmental actions.

Next time I sit down at your table, stand facing my table straight on, instead of to the side like I'm a quick pit stop on your way to the kitchen, (because we all know how quickly you can get an order from a table of one). Ask me how I am, and be interested in the answer, just like you were for that outgoing table of 5 behind me. Give me more than 2 minutes to peruse your menu, check on me when I receive my meal, and don't give me the check and tell me to have a nice night literally 3 minutes after I receive my meal, (like the arrogant &@#$% at the Olive Garden in Connecticut last week). Actually, all you really have to do is pretend there are two other people sitting with me, and by golly, you'll do just fine.

I too, server, am a human being. Treat me like one, and you'd be shocked at just how normal your "solo" diner really is.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

The oh-so-exciting tales of Jim and Kristina :)