Monday, November 24, 2008

The Meetiversary

Ahhhhh how sweet it is! Travel ended on Thursday and it has been awesome to just spend some time at home without that little voice in the back of my head telling me to get ready for my next trip. This weekend we deemed Saturday as "home improvement day." I painted the entryway while Jim and his friend Brian fixed our toilet (Brian's a really good friend, lol), and an exhaust pipe in the attic. We felt very productive. :)

Wednesday night we head to Hampden for the traditional Turkey Day festivities, which means off to the bars Wednesday night, dinner with my family on Thursday, and dessert with Jim's family Thursday night. I've always looked forward to Thanksgiving, but especially now since it is an indicator of another year Jim's been in my life. (Wait, put on your corny goggles, because here it comes...)

If you don't know the story of how Jim and I met, I think its a good one, even though I'm just a little biased. It was the night before Thanksgiving, four years ago, and I was driving up from Boston. I was well into Maine when I realized I forgot my license, which was a huge bummer seeing as we all (the HA gang) always go out for beverages the night before the holiday. I called my friend Eric, to see if he could stop and pick up my license and bring it up, and he said he wouldn't mind at all.

Fast foward a few hours. We're all at my friend Jen's house, dressed up and ready to go out, and Eric shows up. Without my license. It turns out after he picked it up for me, he dropped it somewhere along the way. Of course, I was quite sad, seeing as I would have to miss out on the tradition, but Jen talked me into going to the bar with my birth certificate to see if I could get in. I hemmed and hawed the whole way there, telling her there was no way it would work. I was ready to go home and sulk it out.

We got to the bar, and Jen must have batted her eyelashes at the doorman in just the right way, because somehow I got in. Awesome.

A little while into the night, my friend Matt tells me that Jim O'Brien was asking about me. I knew Jim from high school, but he didn't know me. The next thing I know, there's Jim, standing in front of me, not saying a word, and holding a beer out towards my face.

Awkward.

So I asked him if the beverage was for me and he said yes, and then I told him he should dance with me. And that was that.

Jim tells me that it was the only time he'd ever done anything like that, just buy a drink for a girl out of the blue, and that something just told him I was special and he needed to get to know me.

However, if you are a male, (such as my workstudy Tim), and talking to my now husband about this story, he will tell you he was out "looking to get all hammered and looking to get some and then he saw this hot chick and he knew he wanted to 'get' with her." Uh huh.

At any rate, it was the best Bud Light of my life, and no matter how you tell the story, the ending is the same, and four years later I am the happiest I've ever been.

Happy Meetiversary babe ;)

2 comments:

D and G Stories said...

HAHA! "Meetiversary"...you are too cute. :) Can't wait to see you both and help celebrate!

Anonymous said...

Awww! That is such a cute story (and I like your version better) :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

The oh-so-exciting tales of Jim and Kristina :)