Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Let the Travel Begin!

So I am on my first official trip for my new job. I am currently slummin' it in a less than wonderful Best Western just outside of Boston. While the hotel may not be the best thing I've experienced in awhile, the job just may be. Today I had four "mini fairs" at four different high schools. Mini fairs are a lot like the big nighttime college fairs you may remember, with tons of different colleges set up at tables, only this is only for the juniors and seniors at the school you are visiting. Its a really great opportunity for the students, and I wish we had done it when I was in high school. The crazy thing though is that the fairs are scheduled virtually back to back with only enough time for travel in between. So at the end of the fair, all the representatives pack up as quickly as possible (we're talking like a 30 second whip all of your materials in a bag), run out the door, drive to the next fair, and do a very quick set up before the students show up. You barely have time to breath. Its funny though to see 60 people with their rolling black bags flying into a school and then the line of cars driving to the next one. Its a little stressful, but exciting too, and I love the "challenge" of getting to each place. The other representatives are really friendly, and I had some great questions from students. It has literally been so long since I have loved going to work each day, and I can't explain how great it feels to be energized by my job like I did when I was teaching.

Tomorrow I have four more mini-fairs, including one at Braintree High where I last taught! I actually still have students there so I'm so excited to see them and my teacher friends!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

The oh-so-exciting tales of Jim and Kristina :)