Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Office Party

So today was the big office holiday party. I expected it to be a good time. I figured we'd all bring some food, swap secret santa gifts, hang out for an hour or so around lunch, and continue along our days getting work done. When I got to work at 8am and learned that the day would be starting off with latte's and homemade blueberry waffles, I knew this day was going to be fantastic.

I know I worked for an hour today, only because I was in a meeting, but I think that was it. The stream of food was constant, the gifts were given, and boy oh boy did we laugh our butts off. The highlight of the day was by far the impromptu game of "telephone" initiated by the boss. If you can picture it, it consisted of 20 25-60 year olds sitting in a circle playing a game I used to play with my girlfriends in 6th grade. I don't know the last time I laughed so hard.

I wish I could explain to you all what it is like to work with the people I work with. We all have coworkers. We all really like some of them, and we all really dislike some of them. But I don't think that most places have the connection that this group seems to have. Yes there are the snickers and jeers here and there, but this group as a whole is really close, and we are all really similar people (just to put it in perspective, there were a total I think of 6 Borders gift cards given out at the secret santa swap!). We work in Admission. We love people. We love to talk. We love to laugh. I honestly believe we work in the most exciting office at the University, and it takes a very specific type of person to make it in that environment. I feel very fortunate and very blessed to fit in with these people. Although I've only been there a few short months, I already know that in many ways we are like family to each other. At least that's how we treat each other, and believe me, that's an awesome thing to be a part of.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

The oh-so-exciting tales of Jim and Kristina :)