Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Off to the Great Outdoors

So tomorrow we head up to Mt. Katahdin for four days of camping and hiking. I'm pretty excited but a little nervous. Its kind of a rite of passage of sorts for those of us who live in Maine to hike Mt. Katahdin and its something I've always wanted to do, but been a little nervous to do. In high school I was bound and determined, but it just never happened, and of course as I got older my resistance to the idea got larger. When Jim first put this together back in January my initial reaction was to go but not hike. I used my bum knee (which I really do have) as a nice little excuse, but I really was resisting because I'm just plain afraid. I'm not sure what exactly I'm scared of...maybe its that Knife's Edge is only 4 feet across and there is about a mile (or something like that) drop off each side, or maybe I'm nervous that this will be the ultimate proof that I'm not the athletic chick I once was. At any rate, after finding out that with poles my knees will be just fine, I gave in and decided that I need to do this for myself. So, hopefully I don't fall off Knife's Edge, slide down the mountain, or get eaten by a bear. If you haven't seen another entry by Tuesday, you might want to call the park ranger :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

The oh-so-exciting tales of Jim and Kristina :)