Friday, July 17, 2009

Ahhh Camp

Seven years ago, I spent the spring semester of my junior year in college abroad in Spain. Not only did the experience change my life by way of understanding the world, but it also gave me some amazing new friends. Katelyn and Kristen were friends of mine from Keene State, and the three of us lived together during our semester abroad. While I made some of my closest friends in college, it is undeniable that the bond created with those you study abroad is an entirely different game.

Following our semester abroad, Katelyn invited us to her uncle's camp in upstate New York. Excited to reunite, we all made the drive to the Adirondacks, the trunks of our little cars full of cases of cheap beer and liquor. We were ready to get our party on.

Katelyn's dad and uncle came to supervise.

We had a ball nonetheless. In fact, I think Uncle George was more than excited to have a bunch of 21 year olds at the camp, and even got all dressed up to go to the local dive bar, the I-Go-In and hang with the cool kids. All I really remember is him driving us in his truck, wearing a cowboy hat, with the windows down, and Michael Jackson blaring out of the speakers. He really thought he had it made. We still laugh about that night.

Seven summers later, we still go to camp. I think we can officially call it a tradition and I know its something we all look forward every year as summer approaches. This year I had to laugh as we all pulled into the parking lot. Our trunks were still packed with beer and liquor, but this time we all arrived in family sized SUVs, had high quality beer, mid-shelf liquor, and our favorite books. New friends and significant others have joined the original crew, and Katelyn's dad and Uncle George let us be, and we spent the weekend reading on the porch, laying out on the dock, or enjoying quiet conversation by the fire. Maybe we're just getting old, but it was absolutely perfect.

One thing I've learned as I've found my way into adulthood is that true friendships are a real gift. So many people come in and out of our lives along the way. To get together with friends who know the real you, who you can be exactly who you are around, and who appreciate the real person you are truly is special, and I feel very blessed for every minute I get to spend with these girls.

Here are some pics, I had a ball with my new camera :)












No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

The oh-so-exciting tales of Jim and Kristina :)