Tuesday, June 9, 2009

This Is Why I Love My Job

I have a student who I have been talking with over the phone for the past few weeks. His situation is a bit complicated, he's come to the U.S. from another country, his English is a bit rough, and he has transcripts coming from all over the place. But boy, is he a charmer. Working with both me and our Associate Director, he has not hesitated to let us know when we're doing a good job.

So today, we're on the phone, and its one of those conversations where you are banging your head against the wall, wondering if its ever going to end, and of course you now really need to use the restroom. The student has been struggling to submit a transcript to us. He promised to fax it to me tonight and I told him I'd call him in the morning to let him know if we got it. Pretty routine stuff.

Then there was this:

Student: Kristina, can I tell you something? (He's very polite and formal)

Me: Sure (student name), what's up? (As I think, oh boy here we go..)

Student: If I get accepted to your university, *pause* I promise, I will make you very proud of me.

Me: (Heart sinks, face softens). You know what (student name), I bet you will.

Its a good job.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

The oh-so-exciting tales of Jim and Kristina :)