Thursday, October 9, 2008

Tales from the Road

Well I've been a traveling soul for about four weeks now, and its been quite an adventure. I love my new job (yes, I know I've mentioned this once or twice). I have met so many nice people and so many great students. To be connected with kids and schools again and really feel like I am making a difference in someone's life really has me back on my game. For so long I was so miserable at work, and its just awesome to look forward to my days again.

For the most part my days are pretty typical. Wake up, drive south, or wherever from my hotel room, go to a high school fair or visit, meet with anywhere from 1 to 60 students depending on the event, get in the car and do it all over again. My nights in the hotel vary. Some weeks I'm gone three nights in a row, some weeks its just one night and the rest of the days are day trips. Its really not a bad gig.

Every few days though something just plain weird or ridiculous or something that is complete crap happens. Take for example, Tuesday night. I had a fair in western Massachusetts that got out at 9pm. Wednesday morning I had to be on the other side of the state for an early high school visit. If you've ever lived in Mass, you know attempting to drive anywhere in the morning with hope of no traffic or accidents is like saying last night you went out for beers with the Pope. It just doesn't happen. So after my fair got out at 9, I hopped in the car, put the debate on the radio and ventured east. Two hours later I arrived at my hotel in Peabody, very tired and very ready for a hot shower, my reserved king size bed, and fluffy pillows, followed by a nice free breakfast in the morning. When the nice man at the desk told me there were "problems" with the rooms and my reserved room no longer existed, you can imagine I was less than pleased. So the nice man informed me my stay would be free, and that they had set me up at a very nice hotel down the street. The nice man then proceeded to send me to an Extended Stay America a mile down the road. Instead of my nice warm shower, king sized bed, fluffy pillows, and expected breakfast, I was greeted by a scuzzy hippie (no not all hippies are scuzzy, just this one), who directed me to my dirty room, queen sized bed that was hard as a rock, flat pillows, and zero breakfast.

The next morning I woke up with a creak in my neck, and significantly dark circles under my eyes, and proceeded to call the sales manager at the hotel where I was initially supposed to stay. I'm an honors member at this particular chain, and lord knows if I had a night like that I damn well better still be getting my points. (I'm saving up for a cruise you see, it only takes 800,000 points. We'll be enjoying the Mediterranean Sea in roughly our late 80s). Luckily the woman I talked to was fantastic. She informed me that typically if this happens (not that it typically happens), guests are sent to the Sheraton. She wasn't quite sure why I was sent to Cirque du Extendastay, but was rather embarassed. She kindly rewarded me with ten times the amount of points I would have earned had I stayed at her hotel. I kindly accepted them. Yay for me for finally getting the guts to stand up for myself. Two years ago I never would have made that call.

So that's the story this week. Tonight I'm in a much better place. I'm staying at a Homewood Suites in Peabody. My room has three rooms, a full kitchen including a dishwasher, and..wait for it...free popcorn. Oh, and because I'm signed up for rewards there was a sign at the check in desk with my name on it, welcoming me to the hotel. I almost feel famous.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

The oh-so-exciting tales of Jim and Kristina :)